[Canberrauav] Flying tomorrow

Moss, Andrew Andrew.Moss at ed.act.edu.au
Sun Jan 15 07:11:03 EST 2012

Hi Tridge and Jack,

I would recommend moving to Chris's GPS over the Mediatek ones. I have been testing the mediatek, Ublox 5 (from Sparkfun) and Chris's Birthday design on the autonomous trucks. The Ublox 6 chipset is far superior. The lock time is much faster. The realtime response is accurate (vs the "calculated" position used by the mediatek when lock is lost, or moving too slowly). It also seems to be able to access more satellites (better antenna??).

It is definitely worth a go. The only problem that I am having with it is it does seem to hold it's configuration for a long period of time. There is a battery (capacitor??) to hold the configuration but it seems to revert to it's factory configuration after a number of hours or days without power. This may be a issue just with the one that I have and not the overall design.

Hope it helps,

Andrew

--
This email remains the property of ACT Department of Education & Training.
This transmission and any accompanying attachments may contain confidential or