[Canberrauav] X8 catapult

Matthew Ridley dr.matt.ridley at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 08:57:45 EST 2012

I gave this some thought last night. Some other options to provide the
necessary force in 2-3m might be:

- Jack mentioned the "compound bow" approach. How about a leaf spring
from a old car, and form a sort of giant cross bow ? mount the track
perpendicular to this. Pulleys and cams could be added to make the
force more constant and increase the travel to 2m. This would be cheap
to build.

- Pneumatic ram spreading a block and tackle ? Should be easy enough
to get 100-200 psi into a small reservoir and drive a ram about the
size of a bicycle pump at 50-70kg over 50cm. If the reservoir is large
enough, the force will be more constant than a bungee. With losses on
a 1:4 block and tackle I'm guessing maybe 10-15kg of force over 2m ?

- I was also thinking of a flywheel/cam arrangement that can be spun
up to provide the energy. Where the excess energy goes is a bit of an
issue... compressed air can hiss out a hole, bungee cords can flap
about without too much harm.

- Could we spread a block and tackle with a car starter motor driving
a worm screw ?

Matt