[Canberrauav] X8 catapult

Chris Gough christopher.d.gough at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 10:04:42 EST 2012

Last night I did some reading on RCGroups about catapult launching
small "jets" (models with high wing loading, e.g. stall speeds
>20m/s). I learned 2 things:

1) heuristic: ratio of bungee force to aircraft weight should be ~5 (5G launch).

2) if you measure the angle of the aircraft while hanging on a string
by it's launch hook, and rotate it by 90 degrees, that will be the AoA
on launch (given a flat bungee). i.e. momentum beats aerodynamics
during launch.

For our purposes, I think we should aim to have the vehicle exit the
catapult at "maneuver speed" - allowing the autopilot/pilot full
control as soon as it is in the air. I dont' know what that is for the
X8, maybe 17 m/s? By maneuver speed, I mean the speed that the
airframe can do any maneuver it's capable of (roll, loop, etc),
probably similar to it's cruse speed (not close to stall speed).
That's not absolutely essential, but desirable.

Assuming we can engineer constant acceleration, and we know our
maximum acceleration (5G? 6G?), then we can deduce our minimum rail
length.

WRT force, bungee is very convenient, compact and accessory-free.
Those benefits might overrule constant acceleration. I also like
Matt's pneumatic suggestion, especially with a short, fully contained
piston combined with a purchase mechanism so everythings' boxed in.

Gliders/parragliders are sometimes launched with a slip-clutch/winch
device attached to a car. i.e. the car drives forward at no less than
desired launch speed, and the winch let's out line (not pulls it in)
as required to sustain the desired force. Recreational fish killers
use similar devices to allow them to use thinner, more surreptitious
lines. We could do something similar too. For example, if the line
went from the plane, through a block and tacke, to a fishing reel. And
a short fat bundle of bungees pulled the block, then the fishing reel
would put a ceiling on the force applied to the plane. If the bungee
only delivered slightly more force than desired, the slipping reel
wouldn't need to compromise rail-length. If the reel had an on/off
switch for it's slip-clutch, it could also be used to wind back the
bungee :)

Chris Gough

.