[Canberrauav] X8 flight today

Andrew Tridgell tridge at samba.org
Sat Nov 24 16:03:20 EST 2012

Hi All,

Jack and I had a short flight with the X8 today. We had planned to do an
endurance flight with 2 batteries, but the engine cut after 5 minutes,
very similar to what it did with Chris and I last week when we thought
it was a problem with the arming switch. We did a dead-stick landing
with no problems (it glides very nicely).

We did some testing afterwards, and we think the problem is the ESC. We
suspect it is now quite marginal, or is possibly overheating. It may
have been damaged in one of the crashes by trying to run the motor after
a crash.

To fix it, I've put in a new 100A ESC, and moved it to the outside of
the airframe. We should be good for another attempt at a 2 battery
endurance test tomorrow.

I did some bench testing with the new ESC this afternoon to make sure it
ran for more than 5 minutes. I ran it at about 75% throttle for 10
minutes and it had no problems. I also took the opportunity to compare
the onboard current sensor to my external turnigy current sensor, and
found they agreed to within about 2% or so (which is as close as I can
tell with the normal current fluctuations on the turnigy LCD
display). So that means the battery readout from the APM should be quite
accurate.

Cheers, Tridge