[Canberrauav] Outback Joe landing and sat phone tests

Jack Pittar jpittar at bigpond.net.au
Fri Jun 19 18:44:35 AEST 2015

The scanning mode is just rotating 360 degrees in one plane. Not only is it
difficult to see how we could utilise this to scan a small area under the
helicopter, but it appears that it would be difficult to analyse the analog
output coming from the slip ring.
However; lower down the blog this appears - "Our full mapping unit has more
axes to work with but that is for another day!" Lets hope "another day" is
not too far away.
Not knowing the character of the ground at the landing site makes it almost
impossible to plan for. If we cannot see the ground as the helicopter
decends, we will have to rely on the combined accuracy of selecting the
landing site by geolocation, and the accuracy of the GPS positioning of the
helicopter as it lands. If the distance between obstacles is less than this,
we will have to look at some sort of scanning.