[Canberrauav] CUAV fun at CMAC

Darrell Burkey dazza at tucan.net
Mon May 18 15:16:35 AEST 2015

Sunday morning at CMAC was busy as usual. I arrived at the lazy hour of 10am so most of the main heli fun was over by then.  However, I did notice that each week the copters are getting larger and now it appears that they are breeding as well. There must have been a dozen of them at the South end of the club where CUAV has now taken over. Here are a few photos of the various copters: https://www.flickr.com/photos/dburkey

Jack and Adam were kind enough to help me do the initial configuration of my new Ranger. Jack installed the landing gear and tail assembly for me earlier in the week because the default method was a bit dodgy and weak IMHO. A few more tweaks this week and it should be ready for it’s maiden next Sunday. Tridge identified that the servo leads were picking up interference from the telemetry radio and temporarily fixed that up by reducing the power on the radio. He suggested I use twisted servo leads and move the radio a bit further away from them. I hope to use this plane for mapping using the same Sony NEX camera I use on my hexacopter. Stay tuned for that adventure given my fixed wing skills are quite rusty at best.

Next we moved further North of the field and helped out Paul W with his new dead cat quad. Jack had helped Paul set it up earlier on and I helped him configure the Pixhawk. Now it was time for the nerve wracking maiden flight which I offered to fly. It was a bit of a challenge for me as I don’t normally fly in mode 2. Being left handed I’m fairly used to ambidextrous challenges so off we went.

It was going well until the second RTL test caused it to loose stability which ended in a hard landing. Tridge took a look at the logs for us and we decided it would be good to try an Auto Tune. That didn’t work out too well because the batteries we were using kept dipping in voltage and tripping the failsafe RTL. Finally we decided to do the Auto Tune one axis at a time and with a good battery loaned to us by Greg. That worked well but while returning it to the launch point it once again became unstable and crash landed. No damage, but we decided not to pursue things until Tridge could look in to the logs a bit more.

As if all that wasn’t enough, I decided to do a quick check of my hexacopter. It suffered a bad crash last week when I pushed the battery a bit too far. For reasons I haven’t identified, it flipped twice during take off. I did some work on it last night and went out for another test this morning. I managed to get it flying fine by taking off in PosHold and then doing an Auto Tune. I’m not used to flying it without it’s payload and it’s got quite a bit of thrust so it’s a handful. But it’s flying quite nicely now.

Now that we have copters, fixed wing and multi rotors all running at the same time we decided all that’s left is to have a Rover driving around the field bringing us coffee. Grant???

Hope to see you next Sunday for more fun.