[Canberrauav] Heliplane....?

Robin Hilliard robin at rocketboots.com.au
Mon May 25 13:10:52 AEST 2015

Hi Jack,

The problem is that you don’t want any flat surfaces under the outer 75% of the rotor disc radius, where it will impinge on the downwash. That’s why the wings of various Rotodynes (Fairy, Lockheed Cheyne, Eurocopter X3) are all short to remain inside the inner 25%, where you can actually experience a slight updraft in hover because the inner rotor is so ineffective.

You would need to articulate the wing to get out of the way during hover, or more simply have a tail-sitting wing, which is the second prototype we’re building (of three). It’s a very light (~ 1kg) aluminium flying wing with twin pitch-vectoring electric motors - these should address the control problems highlighted by Brian Marchini in his 2013 thesis on hovering conventional aircraft using an APM* . Almost all the components have arrived for the build…

Cheers,
Robin

*http://digitalcommons.calpoly.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2202&context=theses <http://digitalcommons.calpoly.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2202&context=theses>

Robin Hilliard