[Canberrauav] Porter quadplane parts ordered

Andrew Tridgell andrew at tridgell.net
Thu Feb 11 17:23:29 AEDT 2016

Hi All,

After finding that the bits we wanted were not available Jack and I
spent more time today going over options, and settled on this:

 - NTM Prop drive 50-60 380kv motors
 - 18x5.5 props

 http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=31155
 https://www.rcworld.com.au/props/multi-copters/apc-prop-18x5-5-multi-rotor-cw.html

both were in stock in Australia, and make for very simple mounting. The
motor is a bit overkill, but means we are well below its maximum specs,
so it should be a happy motor, and it gives us more confidence the
motors will handle high wind if need be.

eCalc says we will be hovering at 62% throttle, assuming a without-drive
weight of 10kg. The porter dry weight without the quad parts is
8.8kg. With fuel the 10kg estimate will be close.

Cheers, Tridge