[Canberrauav] CMAC Helicopter Testing and Airframe Issue.

christopher.d.gough at gmail.com christopher.d.gough at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 14:02:32 AEDT 2016

Hi Greg,

The carbon itself is unlikely to be effected at those temps (carbon cloth won't cut with a co2 laser), but some epoxies definitely go gooey at low temps. High-temp automotive epoxies (e.g. JB Weld) have additives to increase conductivity (e.g. powdered iron) as well as a higher glass transition temperatures. The additives improve adhesion with metal surfaces, so you might consider attaching the washers permanently.

I don't know anything about aerospace-grade high temp epoxies, but JB Weld and equivalents are available at automotive stores.

Another idea, is there a way we could scan these plates and get new ones cut with a water jet (either high-temp epoxy/cf or even the right kind of aluminium).

Chris
..