[Canberrauav] Help configuring PixHawk Mini

Dale Rogers hello at dalerogers.com.au
Tue Apr 4 22:50:46 AEST 2017

Hi Peter,

I have had a lot of great help from the guys at CMAC. I’m not ready to say what kind of range or load I think I’ll get from the Opterra airframe but it does get a lot of interest. We did get a chance for reasonably long test flights this last weekend and battery use was very conservative. The aircraft also flies with very little throttle. Technical problems mean that airspeed sensor was not working, but, with working airspeed we should be able to achieve good endurance with careful throttle control.

My only criticism of the airframe is the foam around the motor mount is very thin and I have broken motor mount at the thin neck twice, admittedly on my very heavy landings. I am thinking about some fibre glass reinforcing on this part of the frame. My repairs have also introduced vibration that affected the flight controller. I have added vibration isolation, I had none, thanks Tridge and Jack!

This weekend I would like to test the range finder for automated landing and I think Tridge was looking at upgrading the firmware on the WIFI telemetry transmitter, to upgrade it to MAVLINK 2. It is only capable of MAVLINK 1 now.

I have also ordered a new ESC so that I can setup reverse thrust on the landing. Maybe I’ll get that going in a fortnight.

If you are ever in Canberra on a Sunday come down to CMAC and have a fly of the Opterra.

Dale