[Canberrauav] great test flight today

Peter Barker pbarker at barker.dropbear.id.au
Fri Aug 31 08:28:03 AEST 2018

On Thu, 30 Aug 2018, James Pattison wrote:

> So the next question is, do we protect the aircraft now, or push on for the visual landing nudges/corrections...For those that haven’t seen it, dynamic no
> fly zones / active avoidance is also in place: https://youtu.be/fRItYXRiEYY

I think the we should do one more all-up mission with the Porter, with
everything in place and then cotton-wool-wrap the Porter.

The two factors that were missing from the last flight yesterday were the
avoidance code running on the Porter and the Kraken doing a
fully-automated mission.

I suggest we do a Kraken fully-auto mission (using FLTTIME_MAX), and then
a full-on mission with everything doing avoidance and the aircraft in the
air at the same time.  This is going to be very stressful - CMAC is a
confined airspace and the vehicles will want to wander.  At the very least
we're going to have to forego the "no manual input" aspect of the
challenge - the vehicle pilots *will* need to stick-mix the vehicles away
from the road and/or clouds.  I believe this is a worthwhile test, however
- we need to make sure the Porter is comfortable with dodging around
obstacles.

The obstacle avoidance code is well-tested by now - tridge has done vast
amounts of sim, and it's flown several times on Cassandra's Bixler.

> James

Peter

> On 30 Aug 2018, at 5:54 pm, SSUAV <ssuav at sutherlandshireuav.com> wrote:
>
>       Awesome work Tridge & Team. Good luck in Dalby.
>
>       We recently lost an old favorite 1.4M yellow Cub APM2.0!! in dense bush land while breaking in a new Safety Pilot!(inverted mission!! Lol)
>       Now setting up our gear for a mini OBC
>       Cheers
>       Waz
>       SSUAV
>

>       Sent from my iPhone
>
>             On 30 Aug 2018, at 4:30 pm, Andrew Tridgell <andrew at tridgell.net> wrote:
>

>             Hi All,
>

>             We had two great test flights with the porter today. The setup was:
>

>             - porter octaquad flying retrieval mission
>
>             - fully hands off (no touching mouse or keyboard on GCS entire mission)
>
>             - onboard imaging system found the target, shifted the search pattern
>
>              over it, setup landing, executed landing on target (landed about 2.5m
>
>              from target)
>
>             - after landing the button was pressed on the aircraft by Ryan, 60s
>
>              flashing LEDs, then auto-takeoff, flew home and landed at home
>
>             - 3 network links worked RFD900x was being relayed via the Ranger (the
>
>              Ranger was disarmed on the ground, due to lack of people available
>
>              for piloting/GCS)
>

>             That was the 2nd flight. The first flight had some issues:
>

>             - both 3g links dropped out in plane due to a loose USB connector. The
>
>              mission still continued though, with images and all data coming over
>
>              the RFD900x relay
>
>             - the automatic landing setup didn't happen due to a bug in handling a
>
>              preflight reboot. We fixed that bug for the 2nd flight. So I had to
>
>              intervene on the GCS and command the landing sequence on the
>
>              target. It landed less than 2m from the target (using the position
>
>              the imaging code had found).
>

>             Overall the test flights were very successful. I'll upload some videos
>
>             later today.
>

>             Cheers, Tridge

Peter Barker                          |   Programmer,Sysadmin,Geek.
pbarker at barker.dropbear.id.au	      |   You need a bigger hammer.
:: It's a hack! Expect underscores! - Nigel Williams