[Canberrauav] RasPi Camera timing accuracy improvements

Stephen Dade stephen_dade at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 6 22:38:34 AEDT 2018

Hi all,

I spent some time this evening with the cuavraw software to see if I could improve the timestamp accuracy of the images it captures. Example image attached.

Short answer:
Yes - timestamp accuracy is now 125-238ms

Long answer:
The cuavraw software now records the timestamp just before the shutter opens, rather than after. After testing, this gives better accuracy. I recorded an accuracy of 125-347ms (note the timestamp now leads the camera photo, rather than lags). Note the 347ms was a single outlier - discounting it, the accuracy range is 125-238ms.

Assuming the UAV is flying at 30m/s, this gives a position error of 7.5m.

(Tridge - the rpi_userland and cuav git repos have the new code)

Thanks
Stephen